Welcome!



When I was diagnosed with Grave's Disease in January 2011, the first thing I went looking for was information. The second was the stories of others who had been through what I have--particularly those who are living well on the other side. That's why I created this blog: to share with you what I have learned, and what I have experienced, so that you can find comfort in knowing it's going to be okay.


Thyroid? What's a Thyroid?

Just as I was readying myself to head off to grandma's house for holiday dinner on Christmas Eve 2010, I received a call from my doctor. Actually, a message on their automated voice mail service: my blood work came back.

I expected nothing. I really did. I'd been feeling awful--dizziness, weakness, heart palpitations--but still I had been searching the net for months already and hadn't been able to come up with anything that sounded like it could be the cause of my troubles. I figured this was going to be another one of those cases where the doctors were baffled and I learned to live with feeling rotten.

Your T3 and T4 levels are elevated, in accordance with hyperthyroidism...

What? I played the message again. The same words haunted me again, and these thoughts came whirling from my brain: "Thyroid? What's the thyroid do? What's a T3? What's a T4? There aren't any thyroid problems in my family. It must be a mistake..."

Whisked away to Christmas dinner before I could even do enough research to remember what the thyroid does, the shock continued throughout the day.

When I got home, I was able to do a bit more exploring. The Mayo Clinic's website was one of them that was most helpful to me that evening. If you have recently been diagnosed with a thyroid disorder, I recommend their website: mayoclinic.com.

Comments

Popular Posts