Welcome!



When I was diagnosed with Grave's Disease in January 2011, the first thing I went looking for was information. The second was the stories of others who had been through what I have--particularly those who are living well on the other side. That's why I created this blog: to share with you what I have learned, and what I have experienced, so that you can find comfort in knowing it's going to be okay.


Looking Forward to my Visit to the Endocrinologist

Three weeks after radioactive iodine ablation...

Before I was diagnosed with Graves' Disease, I couldn't have told you what an endocrinologist was. Likewise, I hadn't been to a doctor in years. (When my doctor mentioned "PCP", I thought she meant the drug...) Going to the doctor was something that I did only if I absolutely had to.

In the last five months, I've not only had more doctor's visits than I had entire life before that point combined, but I actually look forward to going to see the endocrinologist. This appears to be part of the nature of Graves' Disease: it makes you so not yourself and makes you feel so miserable, that you actually want to go to the doctor.

So my doctor is now my hero and I'm looking forward to seeing her again this week. This will have been my longest stint without seeing her since my first visit--3 1/2 weeks! (Of course, I have had to go in for blood tests still...) And just like each time before it, I've actually been counting down the days until my visit, not because I'm dreading it, but because I can't wait. My upcoming visit means that I might finally be given the medication that will help me find my energy again, so it may finally keep me from needing several naps a day.

It's strange: before Graves' I wasn't on any type of medication and really didn't believe in it. Now, I can't wait to get more. I suppose it's like all of life: it's easy to make judgements about until it affects you directly. Then suddenly you see everything in a new light.

Comments

Popular Posts